Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What's in a name?

It took me way longer than it should have to come up with a name for this blog. I'm still not sure I'm happy with this, but maybe it will grow on me.

I first thought about something about (not) being a super-mom or domestic goddess, but it turns out all those blog names/urls are pretty much all used up, and I couldn't be unoriginal, could I?

Then I considered my science roots, and thought I might go with something like "Multifunctional" because I have many different roles - mom, cook, cancer researcher/writer, etc. (for those of you who aren't in biology, the word multifunctional is used quite frequently, primarily to describe proteins that have more than one role or enzymatic function). For whatever reason, that just didn't do it for me.

So, I settled on this title - From Caviar to Green Bits. The idea is that the blog will be primarily about food and family/parenting (basically, my life these days), and the title covers both of those nicely, I think. The food part is pretty obvious, especially for those of you who have any experience with kids and their disdain for "green bits" in their food. I think this must be learned behavior, and I completely blame Owen's 4-year old friend Duncan for this. The funny thing is, Owen will quite happily eat platefuls of broccoli, but God forbid there is a little speck of green onion in his fishcake. Basically, I hope to talk about all aspects of food, ranging from those that are distinctly adult (e.g., caviar, which in case you're wondering, I don't like and actually have only eaten about twice in my life, but it sounded good) to those that are kid and/or baby friendly (i.e., no green bits, or at least well-disguised green bits). The idea that you even have to consider green bits, of course, is a parenting thing, so I hope it hints that that will be a part of the blog as well.

I've also got a few more things I plan to write about. More on those as and when they come up.

I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment