Monday, July 26, 2010

Which 'wich?


There are a zillion sandwich recipes out there. Most of them are pretty silly. As Deb from Smitten Kitchen (my favorite food blog, as noted previously) once wrote, “…who needs a recipe for slapping things between two pieces of bread?”
 
Recently I’ve found myself in a sandwich rut. I'm home pretty much every day for lunch now, and sandwiches are my go-to thing. However, there's only so much ham/cheddar/mustard and tuna salad a person can eat. I started by at least adding lettuce and tomato to most sandwiches, and sometimes cucumber (especially with tuna) or even avocado. However, even that got boring after a while.

I was watching some Giada De Laurentiis show the other day and she had a cool idea to add gorgonzola and pancetta to egg salad. I had some Stilton lying around from my Cobb salad, so decided to just chuck that in to my regular old egg salad. It was pretty tasty, but that's not what I'm writing about today. What I really want to share is some more blue-cheesy and bacony goodness.* I call it the "BBBLT". The extra B’s are for blue cheese and bbasil ("What’s THAT extra B for? That’s a typo.")
Mmmm...bacon...

*I really do eat things other than full-fat cheese, bacon, chocolate and marshmallows. I'm usually a really healthy eater. Promise. That mayo? It's "Lighter than light" (Extra light in the US?) Hellmann's...


BBBLT
I like to think I came up with this on my own, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has been concocted before.

2 slices bread (your call what kind; I used seeded wholemeal), toasted
2-3 slices of bacon, cooked crisp (enough to cover your bread)
Tomato slices to cover bread (I used 3 large baby plum tomatoes cut into 4 slices each)
1 leaf romaine lettuce, cut into 6 or so strips
3-4 basil leaves, cut in chiffonade
Blue cheese crumbles (I used Stilton)
Mayo

For those of you that want directions for “slapping things between two pieces of bread”: Spread both slices of toasted bread with mayo. On one piece, layer tomato slices (I like to do these next to a piece of bread so the bread can soak up any juices), followed by lettuce and basil. Blot your bacon with paper towels to remove some of the grease, and layer those on top, then the cheese crumbles. Top with the other slice of bread, cut in half and chow down.

No comments:

Post a Comment